As part of our exciting vision to be a Church that is involved in transforming our community, we are in the process of replacing our former church centre with a new facility through a leap of faith called the "Building for the Future" project. When completed, this new church centre will better equip us to play a part in bringing God's love and blessing to both our church family and the wider community of Egham.
St John’s is blessed with an excellent town centre location and many opportunities to minister to our community, but our aging and inflexible former church hall was no longer fit to serve our needs. The new church centre will significantly improve facilities for our church family on Sundays, and it will enable the growth of the ministries who use our facilities throughout the week.
- The new atrium link will include a welcome desk where visitors can meet church members and receive information about St John’s and upcoming events.
- Footprints, our Sunday morning program for children, will have plenty of room for activities without leaving the building in which their parents are worshipping God in the service.
- During the week, the new building could play host to any number of ministries, from a group of people working with BESOM, to Church Oasis small groups, to Craftea Ladies meetings, or Playtime and monthly Praise Tots services.
- The new catering facilities will not only support Sunday morning coffee and tea rota teams, but will also allow us to cater dinners for Alpha courses, breakfasts for Saturday prayer breakfasts, and perhaps even offer family-style Sunday lunches to our students from Royal Holloway.
The Building for the Future project is about unlocking the potential for God’s life-changing blessing in our community. It is about creating a place where people can learn, grow, laugh, and play together; where they can pray together, mourn together, and celebrate together; and where they can find a safe place to be broken and then put back together again through the love of God and of his people. It is a place for all of us, and it can only happen through the power of God and the willing commitment of His people to work together to transform our community.
Would you pray with us that God will be revealed to not only us but also to our neighbours through this project?
Would you pray with us that our leaders will be wise with our resources, and that our faith as a church will be strong enough to meet the challenge?
Would you pray with us that the necessary funding will come, through God’s ways and God’s timing, “so that no one can boast”? (Ephesians 2 v 8-9)
ST JOHN’S VISION
St John’s Church has been at the heart of Egham for centuries, bringing God’s blessing to the wider community. Our vision is for a church where people feel they belong to a family in which they grow in faith; a Church that invites others to become part of God’s family and which is working to transform our community to the glory of God.
Transforming our Community begins with every individual in Church being encouraged to grow more faithful in following Christ and more Christ-like in character. It continues as God builds us into a Church Family in which we increasingly care for and support one another. And this overflows to the wider community, not only in Egham but wherever our Church Family live and work, as we reach out with the love of Christ.
Supporting those in need: There are huge needs in our community. Some of these are practical. In recent years, we have found many new ways of demonstrating the love of Christ through the Besom and Kitchen ministries; some needs are emotional, and our growing pastoral team are engaged with people in need of care and counsel. Also many needs are spiritual and can be wonderfully met as they discover God’s grace bringing freedom and forgiveness.
Sharing the Good News of Christ: We want to share the good news of Christ with all. Over several years many in our community have explored the Christian faith over a relaxed meal through Alpha and Christianity Explored.
Encouraging people on the journey: For centuries, our church has touched people at key moments in life; celebration of marriage, the birth of a child, the challenge of raising a family, coping with sickness and loss, and grieving a departed loved one. In our perplexing culture, people increasingly welcome help with these challenges through courses, counsel and supportive groups.
Serving our Community: We want to be good news as well. Many of our activities like Playbox Nursery, Songs of Praise, the Kitchen, Student Life Group, Playtime and Praise Tots and the Summer Holiday Club are already seen as very good news. We would love to grow these ministries and develop new ones such as Messy Church for families; lunchtime events for people working in Egham and greater support for single mums.
- Building for the Future Bulletin 21 March, 2017Read the latest building for the future bulletin by clicking here!
- Bringing our new Centre to life 27 January, 2017Bringing our new Centre to life—as we draw closer to the opening of our new Centre we want everyone to be involved, through contributing ideas as to how we use it, offering prayer so we really benefit our community, or through giving financially. So after each service throughout February everyone will be invited to walk […]