Relationship to the Vicar
It is the duty of the Vicar and the PCC to consult together on matters of general concern and importance to the Parish. In doing so the PCC cooperates with the Vicar to promote the whole mission of the Church.
- In pastoral ways – looking after individuals
- In evangelistic ways – sharing the gospel with others
- In social ways – helping the disadvantaged in the community
- In ecumenical ways – encouraging good relationships with other Christians. This means mutual support, understanding, and a free discussion of ideas and plans leading to joint decision-making.
Equally, it is not helpful for the PCC to see itself as THE decision-making body. It is rightly too large, meets too infrequently, and is not close enough to the ground to be able to make all decisions. Some decisions will be taken by other committees.
Relationship to the Congregation
It is also the responsibility of the PCC to be aware of the views of the congregation and to maintain communications so that their views are fairly represented. The PCC has been elected by people who trust them to support their interests.
The PCC has the following responsibilities:
- Towards the wider Church – Deanery and Diocese. Through Synod reports.
- For the buildings and possessions. The PCC is responsible for the upkeep and insurance of the buildings and movable items. This includes work recommended by the ‘quinquennial’ report.
- Financial affairs. The PCC has overall responsibility for the financial expenditure in the Parish, and for raising the money. It must prepare and approve an annual budget. The Church accounts must be independently audited and presented to the APCM.
- The PCC pays the wages of Church staff, such as Administrator and Verger.
- When the incumbent leaves, the PCC are responsible for finding the successor in consultation with the Diocese and Patron.
PCC is scheduled to meet on the following dates in 2019:
Monday 4 February
Monday 25 March
Monday 27 May
Monday 22 July
Monday 23 September
Monday 25 October
The agenda for meetings is planned in advance and circulated a week before the meeting. If you have a matter you would like raised with the PCC please notify the PCC Secretary, Conrad Benefield, as early as possible, so that he can discuss this with you and PCC can be appropriately briefed in good time.
If you have any questions about PCC, please contact the Chair, Esther Prior, or the PCC Secretary, Conrad Benefield, at firstname.lastname@example.org. You are also welcome to speak to any PCC member to find out more.
The minutes of each PCC meeting are reviewed and approved at the subsequent PCC meeting, so are not available for wider circulation until then. Once minutes are approved they will be posted here. In the event that there is confidential business at PCC, this is minuted in a separate ‘Part B’ which is not published.
The latest set of approved PCC minutes is below, together with approved minutes of previous meetings. Again if you have any questions about this, please contact Esther or Conrad in the first instance.
This content is restricted to members of St Johns. If you are an existing user, please login. New users may register below.