Gift Aid

You must pay an amount of income tax and/or capital gains tax in this tax year at least equal to the tax St John’s Church will claim from HM Revenue & Customs on your Gift Aid donation.

A declaration can only be signed by one individual (regarded as the donor), who must be a taxpayer. However payments may be made from joint accounts of which the donor is a joint holder.

Please treat as Gift Aid donations all qualifying gifts of money made from the date of this declaration and in the past four years. I confirm I have paid or will pay an amount of Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax for each tax year (6 April to 5 April) that is at least equal to the amount of tax that all the charities (including churches) and Community Amateur Sports Clubs that I donate to will reclaim on my gifts for that tax year. I understand that other taxes such as VAT and Council Tax do not qualify. I understand the charity will reclaim 25p of tax on every £1 that I give.
Please notify the church/charity if you:

  • Want to cancel this declaration
  • Change your name or home address
  • No longer pay sufficient tax on your income and/or capital gains. Gift Aid is linked to basic rate tax.

Basic rate tax is currently 20%, which currently allows charities to reclaim 25 pence on the pound.
Higher rate taxpayers can claim back the difference between basic rate and higher rate or additional rate tax. If you pay Income Tax at the higher or additional rate and want to receive the additional tax relief due to you, you must include all your Gift Aid donations on your Self Assessment tax return or ask HM Revenue and Customs to adjust your tax code.”

Not a UK taxpayer or ineligible for gift aid status? Just email the church office to let us know.